Sunday, July 5, 2009

Best Food on Maui

My top food experiences on Maui are.................

- Sansei Seafood and Sushi Bar, Kapalua - This one gets #1 billing because it is the best sushi I have ever had. Hands down. I had their best seller: Panko Crusted Ahi Sashimi Sushi Roll which was...well amazing. Raw tuna wrapped up in spinach and flash fried, giving the roll a smooth yet tempura like texture on the outside. It was a warm sushi roll, which I had never had. The taste was just amazing. I also had the Ahi Carpaccio with peanut lime zest. This was very good, it had a nice kick to it. PLUS we went on Friday night, which meant everything was 1/2 off. Such a great deal and amazing food!

- The Pineapple Grill, Kapalua - The food here was very good. Highpoint of the meal was the Pineapple Grill Salad which featured local mixed greens and tomatoes topped with a pineapple vinaigrette. This dressing was fantastic! I ate a few items off the pupu menu, including the shrimp and beef sticks which were both good. Then. Pineapple Upside-Down Cake. Ammmmmmazing. They serve it with a specific butter based ice cream (sounds disgusting, I know, but it's actually very good) and well...I almost ordered another it was that good.

- Longhi's, Lahaina - The long wait for a table was worth it (note to self, make reservations next time). This little European bistro style restaurant does not look or feel pretentious at all. Their prices, however, are very high. I sat overlooking the boardwalk, watching the sunset and scarfing down the amazing (and complementary) pizza bread the fantastic waiter brought. I had their shrimp dish which was a little heavy on the sauce, but otherwise, fantastic. If you're looking for a one of a kind restaurant in the middle of all the bustle of Lahaina, this is it. The entrees start at $30, but it is very high quality food.

- Fresh MANGO! Find a tree, pick it, eat it, let the juice run down your chin and stain your clothes, it's worth it. Ripe fresh mangoes are unlike anything you can find at the store on the mainland.

- Burger King, Kahului - Ok, so Burger King isn't really local to Maui, nor is it exquisite food. However, I had the best whopper of my life here. (Don't go to the one in Lahaina. Run fast away. It smells like bad body odor and alcohol, not flame broiled goodness.)

3 comments:

  1. I'm JEALOUS! The sushi sounds fantastic, though I don't think I could order anything off of a poo poo platter =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to smell some flame broiled goodness when you get home, I have a boyfriend with some cologne you can sniff.

    ReplyDelete