Saturday, June 6, 2009

Lahaina

This week has been filled with working, working out, and cooking.  It's been quite the normal life, really, being in this Hawaiian villa.  I finally took the trek over the golf courses today after work to see a beach!  It was farther away than I had expected and I'm not sure or not (nor do I really care) if I broke a few golfing rules by walking through the course, but the paths were so out of the way and I was on a mission!  ....and.....OCEAN:I spent just a few minutes getting my feet wet before I trudged on back to the villa to meet the others and go work out.  We decided to go out to dinner tonight, and for that we went to the closest 'town,' Lahaina.  It's about a 20 minute drive and totally worth it.  Where I am, in Kapalua, it's resort-ville.  It kind of all goes back to my theory of you're a cruise person or not.  Cruise type people (works for resorts too) just like to relax, lay in the sun, and have things catered to you.  Those who are real travelers, in my opinion cause I fall in this group :-P, want to explore, FIND the culture and the breathtaking experiences off the beaten path.  I've been feeling almost stifled in resort-ville, since there isn't much to do besides relax, so it was wonderful to get to a little (although very touristy) charming town!  We ate at the Cool Cat Diner, which had mediocre food & music, but great service.  We then walked around the main street and looked at all the little shops, eventually making it down to the ocean.  There really is something so peaceful and wonderful about sitting by the waves you can barely see under a full moon.  It was the first time I actually wanted to get in a sail boat.  I can't imagine how peaceful and quiet and at the same time thrilling it would be to do that.  As we walked back to the car, we heard the sound of drums.  Upon further investigation, we found a group of teens practicing hula dancing/drumming on a basketball court.  There were no lights on, no audience, just practice.  It was a great experience to get to watch them dance like that--so impressive!  That is something you would not see on the mainland...a group of teens hanging out late on a Friday night practicing!  It was wonderful!  I'm so glad I got out of Kapalua for a night, and I'm sure the weekend will hold more exploration, which in turn, will make me like my temporary home even more! 

5 comments:

  1. That's how I've been saying it!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. how often have you been working out? I've gone to the gym 4 times this week and lost a pound so far =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I went every day during the week and went on a really long walk today. I don't have a scale but I feel muscley-er...haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. more blogging, please =)

    ReplyDelete