Tuesday, September 18, 2012

September 17 - 2 Hours/18 - 3 Hours

Monday & Tuesday - busy days at work & in the studio.  I'm in love with this weather and the cool breeze through the studio sure beats the sweat drips.  Tonight brought a lovely unexpected visit from Lindsay, who gave her stamp of approval on her portrait.

Soundtrack - Amy Winehouse (Back to Black), Sharon Van Etten (Epic), The Lumineers (The Lumineers), The National (High Violet), Neko Case (Blacklisted).  I first fell in love with High Violet in the fall of 2010; when I was living in an artist loft, didn't have a car and spent a lot of time painting in my apartment.  There's an odd feeling that comes over me when I hear it; a memory of how things were and a false recollection of how I think things were at that time. It makes me want to put on a sweater and never listen to anything else again.

Piece(s) worked on - Laura & Victor.  I've been working on this piece on and off for months.  This couple and this specific sneak attack photo is what spurred the thoughts that created the series.  Laura & Victor ... well, I could go on and on about their story and how wonderful they are.  Simply, their lives are, and have to be, flexible.  Their space truly is transient, and therefore, their "place" is found in each other.  In an attempt to illustrate this (without illustrating) I've highlighted the important things in the composition.  The uncomfortable, painful-looking positioning they are in is softened by the couch that is irrelevant.  The importance is in the closeness; while they remain two separate figures.

The progress:
First Sketch
1st time I considered it finished
2nd time I thought it was finished
tried to fix things and ruined them/made more changes to background
FINALLY happy with the face.
Not done, but it's literally the 10th time I've painted his face and I think it's right this time!


No comments:

Post a Comment